Sunday, April 4, 2010

March 10, 51st Anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising.

Can you imagine if you were forced out of your home? Have your family taken away from you. The life that you know, the land that you so Love and everything familiar to you brutally taken from you.
I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to be forced out of my island home. My life and my family's threatened if we ever return. I cannot imagine not ever again celebrating Chinese New Year, Chirstmas, Hari Raya, Deepavali and all the festivities the way we
Malaysians have so grown accustomed to. My children not ever having the chance to know Penang. My roots. My ancestors' roots cut from beneath me. I cannot even begin to imagine.

Being with the Tibetans that day, that gorgeous Wednesday afternoon in New York City made me realize how good we have it. Sure we have injustice. And sure things are not always fair. But we still have our land and we still have the privilege to fight for our rights, our beliefs and most importantly practice our respective religions within the safety of our own land.
Everyone has the right to be free. We should never stop fighting for what is rightfully ours to have. I commend and so deeply admire the courage, strength and unwavering faith of the Tibetan people in exile.

I am writing this entry as a humble salute to everyone who has ever fought for Freedom. To everyone who is fighting the good fight, keep it up and please know that you are never alone.

*Learn more about the Tibetan people in exile and their fight for Freedom athttp://www.tibet.org/andhttp://www.studentsforafreetibet.org/section.php?id=77


She has never seen her homeland with her own eyes. Lahdon Tethang fights relentlessly for the freedom of her people.

People from all over came to Union Square that day in support of Freedom.

Imprisoned for 11 years without trial for singing songs of Freedom on the streets, Ngawang Sangdral a Nun who was beaten repeatedly while in prison was finally released after excessive pressure from the United States and other intervening countries.

The massive crowd at Union Square Park on March 10.

Potrait of the Dalai Lama beside a Tibetan flag in front of an Equestrian statue of George Washington.

A Freedom fighter draped in a Tibetan flag.

No comments: